From: Open Forum for Learning Assistance Professionals [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Campa, Samantha
Sent: Wednesday, June 15, 2016 5:32 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Naming our Spaces

Hello all,

With some resources shifting around this summer, we are thinking about the names of our spaces. Here are a couple of our dilemmas:

1) The debate between "Tutoring Center" and "Academic Support Center": do we call it what it is (the Tutoring Center) and therefore make it more easily understandable to students OR do we stick with Academic Support Center which avoids the stigma associated with the word Tutoring?

2) The debate about whether to rename this whole floor of the Student Center (which houses tutoring, the library, and the Writing Center): do we call it the Learning Commons or something similar to unify the space OR do we stick to the individual names which are clearer and more utilized by students anyway?

Have you have grappled with similar scenarios? What works (and doesn't work) for your institutions? I would love to hear your thoughts!

Samantha Campa
Academic Support Advisor
Iowa Western Community College