I ran a math tutoring lab for 12 years. I want to add my agreement with the ideas that Debbie has shared here. I like the professional/academic approach she has.

I think it is important to lobby for a good hourly rate for the tutors. I was successful in raising my tutors’ starting wage to $10/hr when an In and Out Burger was built down the street and was paying their employees $10/hr. HR agreed math tutoring should pay at least as well as flipping hamburgers. Additionally, we created a tutoring center that was very well respected, therefore, being a tutor was highly respected and sought after. I created posters that were hung in all the faculty work rooms that showed an airline pilot, fire fighter and some other careers that involved specialized training or certification and a photo of a tutor in one of our signature red vests. The messaging was to the effect of all of these jobs require specialized training. We really made a big deal about the fact that good tutors are trained tutors and trained tutors are good tutors AND our tutors are trained (CRLA). We made t-shirts for the tutors that said they were “all the smart friends you will ever need” (that was in response to a survey that indicated a lot of students sought help from smart friends instead of from tutors — again the need to educate about the value of trained tutors.)

I think it is very important to show appreciation for tutors. National Tutor Week is great for that. And sometimes you can get local businesses to donate some kind of gifts/trinkets. I wouldn’t want to come up with gift-like incentives on a year-long basis.

I really disliked doing tutor of the year/semester kinds of things,(too difficult to pick just one) but we did it anyway. The part of that recognition that I liked best was asking tutees to nominate tutors for the award. Then everyone who was nominated had a written “compliment” to keep. We also had a “Dean’s Recognition” kind of like Honorable Mention. Anyone who I felt should be recognized for a job well done got a letter of appreciation from the dean. We also did student evals of tutors and the positive comments were shared with the tutors.

Those are my quick thoughts

Kathryn Van Wagoner
Weber State University
Ogden, Utah