***** To join INSNA, visit http://www.insna.org *****
SOCNET is a service of INSNA, the professional association for social
network researchers (http://www.insna.org). To unsubscribe, send
an email message to [log in to unmask] containing the line
UNSUBSCRIBE SOCNET in the body of the message.
One-Year Post-Postdoctoral Research Fellowship
University College Dublin, School of Sociology
Project:‘Tweeting to #Repealthe8th: Challenging the legal regime
and Irish attitudes to abortion?’ Duration: 12 months
Application deadline: 10 June 2016
The project will map and analyse a large corpus of tweets using the hashtag #repealthe8th, with a
particular focus on the material highlighted, shared and discussed by users. The aim is to understand
how the medium facilitates, shapes and structures discussion of and lobbying around a political issue.
It will also explore the limitations of Twitter as a forum for political action via in-depth interviews with
tweeters using this hashtag.
This is an academic research role, where you will conduct a specified programme of research
supported by research training and development under the supervision and direction of a Principal
The primary purpose of the role is to further develop your research skills and competences, including
the processes of publication in peer-reviewed academic publications, the development of funding
proposals, the mentorship of graduate students along with the opportunity to develop your skills in
research led teaching.
Salary: €33,975 per annum
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
- Conduct a specified programme of research and scholarship under the supervision and
direction of your Principal Investigator.
- Engage in appropriate training and professional development opportunities as required by
your Principal Investigator, your School or Institute, or the University.
- Engage in the dissemination of the results of the research in which you are engaged as
directed by and with the support of and under the supervision of your Principal Investigator.
- Engage in the wider research and scholarly activities of your research group, School and
- Mentor and assist, as appropriate and as directed, the research graduate students in your
School and Institute.
- Carry out administrative work associated with your programme of research.
- PhD in Sociology, Information Studies, Media Studies, Political Science, Computer Science or
a cognate discipline
- Experience in relevant quantitative research techniques including social network mapping
- Evidence of strong computing skills, including knowledge of software used to retrieve social
media data and other digital research management/ social media research tools.
- A demonstrated commitment to research and publications.
- An understanding of the operational requirements for a successful research project.
- Evidence of research activity (publications, conference presentations, awards) and future
scholarly output (working papers, research proposals, and experience of writing a funding
- Excellent Communication Skills (Oral, Written, Presentation etc).
- Excellent Organisational and Administrative skills including a proven ability to work to
- Experience of sourcing and analysing Twitter content.
- Experience using innovative data visualisation methods.
- Familiarity with research on social media and the contemporary public sphere.
- Familiarity with feminist research on reproductive justice.
- Experience of qualitative research methods.
- Experience in setting own research agenda.