thanks, Eric. my apologies if I violated the norms of the group -- this is
probably excessively promotional, it's something that was sent out
elsewhere this morning, and I should have edited and provided better
context. (I'm noticing there aren't too many book announcements on the
list.)

Here is some context (quickly from my phone, I'd be happy to provide more
over the coming weeks)

What people label the sharing economy often involves digitally-enabled
economic exchange that is enabled indirectly by one or more underlying
social networks. Today, this kind of economic exchange is not a big part of
most economies, but I believe it could be a significant fraction of many
economies in the years ahead. As the model of exchange evolves from
institution->individual to individual->individual (sort of coming full
circle, but with a new digital layer of intermediation), it seems likely
that patterns of connections between individuals would start to have
importance that they previously didn't.

A topic of immediate interest is how this transition alters the
relationship between networks and trust. Economies that have robust
economic institutions don't need to rely as much on social networks for
trust, which may be part of the reason why positions of brokerage confer
advantage in studies of organizations in Western economies. (In contrast
with an economy where institutions are weak and one relies on a more
clustered network to facilitate trust in economic exchange.)

There are other contexts that could interest network scholars as well: for
instance, organizational membership has become an important source of
"community" over the last few decades, and as we evolve to crowd-based
models of organizing economic activity that makes employment less common,
will there be new structures that fill this void? (the networks of Airbnb
hosts and Etsy sellers may be early examples.) I understand that some
informal groups (like Facebook discussion forums) for providers on other
platforms (like Uber driver discussion groups) have become sites used for
both tacit "management" of providers as well as channels for collective
labor action. This still isn't enough explicit context: but I think it's
likely that there are many new research problems of interest to networks
researchers that will emerge from the move of economic activity to
"crowd-based" models, and there's a natural intellectual connection between
the topics. (This belief may be biased in part by the fact that my interest
in the sharing economy stemmed from my interest in networks, and
specifically, in network-based trust.) I hope this is helpful. cheers,
Arun.