Hello BEST members,

Last week, we looked into the topic of animal slaughterhouse waste. Sites such as farms and industrial plants may cause runoff that is potentially high in nutrients and pollutants. This week, we are looking at the remediation of soil and water contaminants. At Washington University in St. Louis, promising research has been made in hopes to reduce the amount of uranium in groundwater. Uranium is present in many groundwater sites due to nuclear processing and waste disposal that occurred during the Cold War-era. The study found that calcium and phosphate work chemically to immobilize uranium. However, the phosphate introduced directly into contaminated groundwater, "never reached the uranium because it precipitated out near the injection well." Therefore, it was found phosphate should be added either in a natural flowing groundwater system or directly inject the phosphate to where the uranium is present. As we move towards the future, it will be critical to utilize and protect valuable resources such as water. This is one promising technology that may aid in the remediation of water contaminants.

Trap and Neutralize: A New Way to Clean Contaminated Groundwater
PHYSORG
April 13, 2016
http://phys.org/news/2016-04-neutralize-contaminated-groundwater.html

Gillian Palino