Hello BEST members,

Last week, Blaze talked about micro-algae being used as a food source in New Mexico. We are now going to expand on this and look into various applications of algae. I will be focusing on algae-derived oils. "Not only can algae be grown in concentrated forms, requiring far less land per unit of energy than other biofuels, but it can also be tailored through various forms of genetic manipulation, to produce just about any type of oil imaginable."
Solazyme is a business that has moved away from producing algae oils refined for jet fuel and turned to oils for various cosmetics and foods. This is a higher value commodity that requires less volume to be profitable. Unilever has already signed a deal for $200 million worth of algae oils. The company is using this high performing and sustainable oil in their own personal care products.

Unilever to Use Algae Oil in Personal Care Products
Triple Pundit
March 21, 2016
http://www.triplepundit.com/2016/03/unilever-use-algae-oil-personal-care-products/#

Gillian Palino