Date: Mon, 25 Jul 2016 11:03:25 +0000
From: "[utf-8] Complexity Digest" <[log in to unmask]>
To: "[utf-8] Barry" <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: [utf-8] Latest Complexity Digest Posts

Learn about the latest and greatest related to complex systems research. More at http://unam.us4.list-manage.com/track/click?u=0eb0ac9b4e8565f2967a8304b&id=df98306d24&e=55e25a0e3e

The 7 biggest problems facing science, according to 270 scientists

    Explore the biggest challenges facing science, and how we can fix them:
1. Academia has a huge money problem
2. Too many studies are poorly designed
3. Replicating results is crucial ˙˙ and rare
4. Peer review is broken
5. Too much science is locked behind paywalls
6. Science is poorly communicated
7. Life as a young academic is incredibly stressful

Conclusion: Science is not doomed

http://unam.us4.list-manage1.com/track/click?u=0eb0ac9b4e8565f2967a8304b&id=ffd803a67b&e=55e25a0e3e

See it on Scoop.it (http://unam.us4.list-manage.com/track/click?u=0eb0ac9b4e8565f2967a8304b&id=347599afbd&e=55e25a0e3e) , via Papers (http://unam.us4.list-manage.com/track/click?u=0eb0ac9b4e8565f2967a8304b&id=3e3ca97fed&e=55e25a0e3e)

BW: If this list is accurate, if I am a funder, why should I put money
(#1) into a system with poorly designed (#2), unreplicated (#3), and
poorly communicated (#5, #6) projects.
Or you can look at it backwards, if there are too little funds (#1), do
the other problems partially stem from that, including #7?

Peer review and competition in the Art Exhibition Game

    Competition is an essential mechanism in increasing the effort and
performance of human groups in real life. However, competition has side
effects: it can be detrimental to creativity and reduce cooperation. We
conducted an experiment called the Art Exhibition Game to investigate the
effect of competitive incentives in environments where the quality of
creative products and the amount of innovation allowed are decided through
peer review. Our approach is general and can provide insights in domains
such as clinical evaluations, scientific admissibility, and science
funding. Our results show that competition leads to more innovation but
also to more unfair reviews and to a lower level of agreement between
reviewers. Moreover, competition does not improve the average quality of
published works.

Peer review and competition in the Art Exhibition Game
Stefano Baliettia,b,c,1, Robert L. Goldstoned, and Dirk Helbing

PNAS

http://unam.us4.list-manage.com/track/click?u=0eb0ac9b4e8565f2967a8304b&id=f8d72bee35&e=55e25a0e3e

See it on Scoop.it (http://unam.us4.list-manage1.com/track/click?u=0eb0ac9b4e8565f2967a8304b&id=3680522cb2&e=55e25a0e3e) , via Papers (http://unam.us4.list-manage1.com/track/click?u=0eb0ac9b4e8565f2967a8304b&id=a1ce6dde8c&e=55e25a0e3e)

Extended inclusive fitness theory: synergy and assortment drives the evolutionary dynamics in biology and economics

    W.D. Hamilton˙˙s Inclusive Fitness Theory explains the conditions that
favor the emergence and maintenance of social cooperation. Today we know
that these include direct and indirect benefits an agent obtains by its
actions, and through interactions with kin and with genetically unrelated
individuals. That is, in addition to kin-selection, assortation or
homophily, and social synergies drive the evolution of cooperation. An
Extended Inclusive Fitness Theory (EIFT) synthesizes the natural selection
forces acting on biological evolution and on human economic interactions
by assuming that natural selection driven by inclusive fitness produces
agents with utility functions that exploit assortation and synergistic
opportunities. This formulation allows to estimate sustainable
cost/benefit threshold ratios of cooperation among organisms and/or
economic agents, using existent analytical tools, illuminating our
understanding of the dynamic nature of society, the evolution of
cooperation among kin and non-kin, inter-specific cooperation,
co-evolution, symbioses, division of labor and social synergies. EIFT
helps to promote an interdisciplinary cross fertilization of the
understanding of synergy by, for example, allowing to describe the role
for division of labor in the emergence of social synergies, providing an
integrated framework for the study of both, biological evolution of social
behavior and economic market dynamics. Another example is a bio-economic
understanding of the motivations of terrorists, which identifies different
forms of terrorism.

Extended inclusive fitness theory: synergy and assortment drives the evolutionary dynamics in biology and economics
Klaus Jaffe

SpringerPlus 2016 5:1092
http://unam.us4.list-manage.com/track/click?u=0eb0ac9b4e8565f2967a8304b&id=966cfc50be&e=55e25a0e3e

See it on Scoop.it (http://unam.us4.list-manage1.com/track/click?u=0eb0ac9b4e8565f2967a8304b&id=a7e4cf7d48&e=55e25a0e3e) , via Papers (http://unam.us4.list-manage.com/track/click?u=0eb0ac9b4e8565f2967a8304b&id=088531ae1a&e=55e25a0e3e)

Molecular networks, the rise of networks of networks - ICSB 2016. Barcelona

    This special session focuses on the network inspired approaches to analysis and integration of
the massive data sets now prevalent in the life sciences. It introduces new approaches and
solutions to the Big Data problem, and presents new techniques in the field of graph theory for
handling and processing challenging large data sets. By discussing cutting-edge problems and
techniques, the session offers researchers from a wide range of fields a unique opportunity to gain
an insight on the status and perspectives of exploiting big heterogonous data in the life-sciences
through concept of ˙˙Network of Networks˙˙.

Satellite Workshop Tutorial:
Molecular networks, the rise of networks of networks

International Conference on Systems Biology

http://unam.us4.list-manage1.com/track/click?u=0eb0ac9b4e8565f2967a8304b&id=1956c1dec8&e=55e25a0e3e

See it on Scoop.it (http://unam.us4.list-manage.com/track/click?u=0eb0ac9b4e8565f2967a8304b&id=83934b1db4&e=55e25a0e3e) , via CxConferences (http://unam.us4.list-manage.com/track/click?u=0eb0ac9b4e8565f2967a8304b&id=5654f26bf0&e=55e25a0e3e)

Founding Editor: Gottfried Mayer.
Editor-in-Chief: Carlos Gershenson.

You can contribute to Complexity Digest selecting one of our topics (http://unam.us4.list-manage.com/track/click?u=0eb0ac9b4e8565f2967a8304b&id=16e64bd204&e=55e25a0e3e ) and using the "Suggest" button.