I like this new article in current issue of ABS on network experience`:
passing in football/soccer games. Reminds me a bit of Lin Freeman's work
on basketball teams.

The Relational Value of Network Experience in Teams: Evidence From the
English Premier League Thomas U. Grund

Abstract

Previous studies indicate the importance of experience for the performance
of teams. Theory suggests that working together allows individuals to (a)
improve their knowledge about who knows (and can do) what and (b)
facilitates learning to combine individual resources efficiently. Yet it
remains elusive how experience translates into interaction patterns in
teams.  Drawing on unique data of career histories of 800 players and
283,259 passes between these players in 760 English Premier League soccer
matches, I propose a new measure for network experience and demonstrate
how it relates to network intensity and decentralization in teams.
Soccer teams exhibit a higher passing rate when players know each other
from before. At the same time, network experience has no effect on the
decentralization of team play. Further dyadic analyses confirm these
findings. Controlling for selection effects, two players are more likely
to pass the ball between each other when they know each other more.
Network experience affects the way team members interact and ultimately
leads to performance outcomes.

American Behavioral Scientist, 60, 10 (2016)
   Barry Wellman

                  Streisand/Sondheim
                        http://amzn.to/zXZg39