A couple years ago I did a dynamic visualization of a similar
co-citation network (social scientists vs physicists/computer scientists
in social network analysis/network science) over 1996-2013:
https://vimeo.com/96745135

Details, data and code are on github:
https://github.com/raffaelevacca/EUSN-co-citation-networks

Raffaele