One approach is to use ERGMs. Specify a model by selecting terms that
will represent the charactersitics you are interested in and set their
values, and simulate networks. You can do this with R packages from
statnet (http://statnet.org/). With statnet you could even simulate
dynamic networks (see package tergm).

hth,
Michal