From: Bioenergy and Sustainable Technology Society [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Graunke,Ryan E
Sent: Friday, October 14, 2016 9:33 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Food Waste Friday #314: Juicing ugly produce

Hello BESTers,

For anyone following food waste news in the past several years, you know ugly produce is a big buzzword.  People are waking up to the fact the the high aesthetic standards we place on produce is causing a massive amount of food waste due to rejected fruits and vegetables.
However, it is a high hurdle to get people to accept less than ideal produce at their local grocer.  A recent start-up may have found the best solution: juicing.  After all a juicer doesn't care if your carrot is bent and your apple has dimples.  Misfit Juicery, which sells in the DC and New York market, recently won a grant from Chobani to join its food incubator program.  The company sources 70-80% of its produce from ugly or surplus supplies.  This helps save the more "ideal" produce for the grocery store aisle.

Have a great weekend,

Ryan

http://www.beveragedaily.com/Manufacturers/Misfit-Juicery-fights-US-food-waste-using-ugly-fruit

Misfit Juicery fights US food waste using ‘ugly’ fruit and vegetables Mary Ellen Shoup Beverage Daily October 14, 2016