REFLECTING ON HURRICANE MATTHEW

Hurricane Matthew caused significant damage and hurt both overseas and also here in the US. Our hearts are with those in Haiti, the Bahamas and Cuba as they cope with the devastating aftermath of that hurricane. It is normal to have a multitude of reactions after such a disaster and it may be helpful to process your experiences.  This Thursday, October 13th at 5:30 pm, providers from the Counseling and Wellness Center will be available to students who want a safe space to talk about the tragedy Hurricane Matthew left behind and to process their experiences. Location:  UF Reitz Union, Room 3305

In the aftermath of a tragedy, it is extremely important to attend to your emotional wellness and engage in intentional self-care. At the Counseling and Wellness Center, we have a number of online and on-site resources to facilitate your self-care efforts.

Our on-site wellness resources are available at our 3190 Radio Road location and you can simply walk in to utilize them, no appointment necessary.

·         Consider attending one of our drop-in workshops. Our workshops provide tools for reducing stress, decreasing anxiety, managing low mood, boosting happiness, and promoting wellness.

No time to visit us? Check out our online resources:

·         Practice relaxation exercises to calm your mind and strengthen your ability to cope with stress.

·         Use an app to guide your daily mental self-care. Apps teaching special breathing techniques or offering meditations can make a significant difference in your ability to cope with daily stress.

·         Utilize “thedesk”, an online platform to solve your daily problems, assess your wellbeing, and develop strategies for wellness.

·         Review CWC self-help section.

For more ideas about intentional self-care, see the document from the NCTSN titled “Take Care of Yourself”.