Hi everyone,

I'll pose this as an "is this normal question?" because this has happened
more than once at my university and I'm unsure if this is a standard part
of a learning center director's job:

At my university, our learning center is housed in Academic Affairs.  This
has worked well for us and I answer directly to the Dean of Libraries since
we are located in the library.

The downside of this is that administrators in Academic Affairs sometimes
"place" new programs at our center without consulting with us beforehand.
This has happened with 5 different programs -- when I first came on board,
a course embedded writing tutor program was placed under our center's
jurisdiction even though faculty members and administrators outside our
center wrote the proposal.  Then a remedial math program was placed in our
center without our consultation - luckily, the math department and I felt
that this would be best housed in math.

Yesterday, one-time funding from our Chancellor's Office was given to our
university and our provost proposed 3 different new tutoring programs to
use this one-time funding for this year (as in we have to implement and
spend down by June 2017).  I know that this should be a good problem to
have (more funding!), but a lot of these programs come with no personnel
costs taken into consideration and we're already well into our first
quarter of 16-17.

All of these programs come with really great intentions, but high quality
programs take a long time to build and recruitment can be difficult,
especially in the middle of the year.

So basically what I am asking is -- is this normal?  Is there a strategy
that I should employ should this happen again in the future?  Turning away
the programs always looks bad politically, but doing bad, rushed
programming looks bad in general -- and isn't so great for students.

Thank you!

--
*Jennifer V. Nguyen*
*Director of the Student Center for Academic Achievement*