I’m going to echo what people have said and add:

1.      Students are likely scared of the prospect of reaching out to a stranger for help vs. the actual tutor.

2.      One way to address this issue is to ensure that all of your tutors sit facing the entrance to the space where they tutor and look up from what they’re doing and greet a new student upon arrival to avoid that awkward “seat yourself” mentality wherein many people will walk away.

3.      Decorating your space in a welcoming way is key.  (Family Dollar and similar stores are a great option for low-cost decorating, especially seasonal.  We try to give students a “home-away-from-home feeling” through our decorations.  Halloween and Thanksgiving are up now, and soon they’ll turn into painted snow frosts on the windows, Christmas lights, and signs for December holidays, all of which the students love.)

4.      Marketing to ensure that your student (and faculty) population knows that tutoring is for “everyone” is essential.

5.      During CRLA Level I, I also talk with new staff about welcoming new students.  We start with me asking them to think of a time, academic or otherwise, when they needed to approach a stranger for help.  What were the circumstances?  How did they feel?  What were their concerns?  (I also share an experience.)  Once we share, I ask them to try to hold in their heads that feeling each time a new student approaches them for tutoring and do their best to reassure that person.

You’re in a great place in terms of an opportunity to grow your center, so I’d run with it to see how you can evolve.

PS  I experienced the same thing with my staff my first year on the job and ran with the challenge.  It took a while, but what I’m describing here is second nature to our staff now.

Sincerely,

Debbie Malewicki, MA
Director, Center for Learning Resources
Winner of the 2016 ATP Program of Excellence Award
Safe Zone Ally
116 Marvin K. Peterson Library
University of New Haven -- "A Leader in Experiential Education"
300 Boston Post Road
West Haven, CT  06516
Phone:  (203) 932-7415
Fax:  (203) 931-6013
E-mail:  [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>

"Tutoring to Help You Blossom Into a Better Student”

Thought of the day:  “A man can fail many times, but he isn’t a failure until he begins to blame somebody else.”  By John Burroughs