LRNASST-L Digest - 27 Sep 2016 to 28 Sep 2016 (#2016-242)

Two suggestions:

1.       Bookmarks.  Somebody once told me that of all the freebies students get on campus, the one they’re most likely to keep and use is a bookmark, because even in the age of e-books, all students have at least a few books in need of bookmarks.  Bookmarks can also double as appointment cards if you are appointment-based and you allow students to schedule appointments in person at your front desk.  We used them successfully for years, with our center contact info and hours on the front, and spaces on the back to record the time, date, subject, and tutor for appointments.  Most of our students made appointments online, but for those who made them in person, having the info written down and handed to them on a bookmark was helpful.

2.       The Women’s Center where I used to work made a deal with the café on campus to provide the sleeves for their paper coffee cups.  They had custom sleeves printed with the name of the center, its location and contact info, and every single student who bought a cup of coffee walked away with that info.  I thought that was brilliant.

Michele Costabile Doney, M.S.Ed.

Director, Student Academic Consulting Center & Immersion Programs

Secretary, Association for the Tutoring Profession

NCLCA Learning Center Leadership Certification Level Three

Baruch College, CUNY

55 Lexington Avenue, Box B2-116

New York, NY 10010

646-312-4833