Hello Barton,

We are undergoing something very similar here at USF.  Before 2008, learning support was limited and highly decentralized.  In 2008 most of our learning support services were merged and organized under the Office of Undergraduate Studies in the newly created Library Learning Commons.  During this time USF developed many other initiatives intensely focused on persistence and graduation rates, all of which have led to significant increases.

The next phase involves merging Student Affairs and Academic Affairs into 1 unit called Student Affairs  and Student Success, led by a VP for Student Success.   This is currently evolving and it looks like the Academic Success Center will become part of department called “Teaching and Learning” in our Learning Commons.  I think this will be an opportunity to work more closely with faculty to develop more targeted imbedded learning support.

Looks like our institutions are on similar paths.  Maybe we can set up a time to discuss

the pros and cons of this structure?

Pat

Patricia A. Maher, Ph. D.

Director, Academic Success Center

University of South Florida

4202 E. Fowler Ave.

LIB122

Tampa, FL  33620

813-974-5141

[log in to unmask]" alt="ASC-Logo-Final-smaller4">

www.usf.edu/asc