Dear Colleagues,
I am reposting the job descriptions for two open positions in the Learning Commons at Temple University.  If you are interested in applying, please submit your materials by or before Friday, November 4th.
Job ads can be somewhat inscrutable, so for what it is worth, I want to offer a "plain language" description of the candidates we are hoping to find.

*               For the Assistant Director/Tutoring position:  we hope to find candidates who have academic training in a STEM discipline, or academic training in science/math education.  Ideally, these would be people with a masters degree in, say, math or chemistry, or math/science education.  We also hope that the candidates will have some experience with academic program management - ideally someone who has coordinated a tutoring program or a mentoring program, but maybe someone who oversaw a teacher-training program, or a study-abroad program, etc.

*               For the Assistant Director/SI position:  we hope to find candidates who are great teachers and who have teaching experience in higher education.  Ideally, we would like to find someone who is interested in innovative teaching practices - maybe someone who has participated in faculty development workshops on teaching, or teaching practica; maybe someone who has research interests in teaching/pedagogy; maybe someone who has won teaching awards.

As I mentioned in the first posting, these positions offer competitive salaries and excellent benefits. They also have a couple of plusses that might not be immediately obvious from the job descriptions.  Our academic support team is big (and fun, if I do say so...) and we can offer exceptionally strong support for anyone interested in engaging in research and publication related to academic support.

If you have any questions about the positions, I will be happy to answer them.

Sincerely,

Lori Salem

**
Dr. Lori Salem
Assistant Vice Provost
Director of the Temple University Learning Commons
**
Assistant Director for Tutoring [16001428]
The Assistant Director for Tutoring will work with the Director of the Center for Learning and Student Success (CLASS) to develop and manage the academic support services in the CLASS.  The primary responsibility of this position will be to develop and oversee all aspects of the university-wide tutoring program.  The Assistant Director will engage in ongoing research and assessment aimed at enhancing the quality and effectiveness of academic support services.
Essential functions of the position:

*         Recruit and hire the undergraduate and graduate staff of the tutoring program.  Schedule tutors. Design and provide a comprehensive tutor development program.  Observe and evaluate tutors and provide developmental feedback.

*         Develop and provide additional support materials for tutors, including sample resources and handouts, etc.

*         Collaborate with administrators in the CLASS and other units to develop a common platform and procedures for online tutoring.

*         Meet regularly with faculty, advisors and administrators in the schools/colleges and in the office of the SVPUS to identify courses in need of tutoring support, to plan programs and services, and to coordinate plans.
Required Qualifications:

*         Master's degree in a STEM field or in Education with a focus on math or science teaching

*         At least 2 years of experience tutoring or teaching at the college level

*         Experience with program management or program development in an academic setting.
An equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered.
Preferred qualifications:

*         Experience working in a Learning Center or other academic support center at the university level

*         Prior experience with (or training in) course-based tutoring and/or skills-oriented tutoring programs.

*         Experience with synchronous online tutoring programs

*         Experience supervising and developing student workers

*         Familiarity with current research broadly related to student development and student success, and with research methods used in educational research.

*         Excellent oral and written communication skills.

Assistant Director for Supplemental Instruction [16001429]

The Assistant Director for Supplemental Instruction will develop and manage academic support services in the Center for Learning and Student Support (CLASS).  The Assistant Director will engage in ongoing research and assessment aimed at enhancing the quality and effectiveness of academic support services and contributing to the field.

Essential functions of the position:

*         Recruit and hire the undergraduate "peer leaders" of the supplemental instruction program.  Design and provide a comprehensive peer leader development program. Review peer leaders' lesson plans, observe study sessions, and provide developmental feedback.

*         Develop and provide additional support materials for peer leaders, including model lesson plans, sample resources, handouts, etc.

*         Meet with faculty, advisors and administrators in the schools/colleges and in the office of the SVPUS to identify courses for supplemental instruction support.

*         Meet regularly with faculty teaching classes with supplemental instruction support to design support, troubleshoot and coordinate plans.

*         Schedule times and rooms for supplemental instruction sessions and communicate the schedule to stakeholders; manage payroll processes for all student workers involved in the supplemental instruction program.

*         Conduct research (or join collaborative research projects) related to the CLASS services, or more broadly to topics related to teaching, learning, and student development.
Required Qualifications:

*         Master's degree in education, student development or other related field

*         At least 2 years of experience teaching or tutoring at the college level

*         Experience with program management or program development
An equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered.
Preferred qualifications:

Substantial experience with teaching in higher education; participation in higher education teaching practicums or workshops

*         Experience working in a Learning Center or other academic support center at the university level

*         Prior experience with (or training in) supplemental instruction programs

*         Experience supervising and developing student workers

*         Familiarity with current research broadly related to student development and student success, and with research methods used in educational research.

*         Excellent oral and written communication skills.
Go to careers.temple.edu<http://careers.temple.edu>
In the first menu, choose "staff," then selected "external"
Enter the number of the job(s) you are interested in.

*         Job number for the AD for tutoring:  16001428

*         Job number of the AD for Supplemental Instruction:  16001429
In addition to completing the online forms, please upload a CV and cover letter.
Applications submitted by or before November 4th will receive full review.