From: Open Forum for Learning Assistance Professionals [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Todd Parks
Sent: Friday, October 28, 2016 3:36 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Students are "scared" to attend tutoring?

Lynda,

You wrote that [music] students are scared to come to tutoring. I am somewhat surprised to hear that music students are afraid to seek tutoring. I am not a musician, but my seventeen year old son has participated in individual and group music instruction since he was two years old. I would think seeking help from a tutor would be a bit like getting assistance from a private music teacher.

I spend a lot of time talking to students about seeking help and often compare students to elite athletes who are the best in the world at their sport. These athletes have athletic trainers, coaches, dieticians, personal chefs, sports psychologists, and a host of others who help them achieve their goals. Peyton Manning, considered one best quarterbacks of all time, worked with his former college coach during the offseason to improve his footwork and throwing mechanics. If athletes benefit from this kind of support, our students should too. Academic advisors, academic coaches, faculty, tutors, and other college personnel are akin to the bevy of professionals who support the best college and professional athletes.

Perhaps you can draw comparisons between music instruction and tutoring when you meet with these students. They might be less threatened if they can see the similarities between the two. I suspect the best musicians, like elite athletes, spend a lot of time honing their craft in the presence of a gifted teacher (or tutor).

Having the self-awareness to recognize that we might benefit from another's assistance is a positive attribute. I have always admired those who were not afraid to seek help. I believe it is a sign of strength and courage, not weakness.

Sincerely,

Todd

Todd Parks, EdD
Associate Professor
Coordinator of Academic Support Services
Piedmont Virginia Community College
501 College Drive
Charlottesville, VA 22902-7589
434.961-5499 (student appointments)
434.961.6524 (office)
434.961.5425 (fax)
www.pvcc.edu<http://www.pvcc.edu/>

[http://www.pvcc.edu/files/pvccemaillogo.gif]

 [facebook icon] <http://www.facebook.com/piedmontvacc>  [twitter icon] <http://www.twitter.com/piedmontvacc> [youtube icon] <https://www.youtube.com/user/PVCCVIRGINIA> [instagram icon] <http://www.instagram.com/piedmontvacc> [linkedin icon] <https://www.linkedin.com/edu/school?id=164151>