Generating Clustered Journal Maps: An Automated System for Hierarchical
Classification <https://arxiv.org/abs/1610.03779>

Loet Leydesdorff, Lutz Bornmann, and Caroline S. Wagner

Journal maps and classifications for 11,359 journals listed in the combined
Journal Citation Reports 2015 of the Science and Social Sciences Citation
Indexes are provided at this http URL <http://www.leydesdorff.net/jcr15.>  A
routine using VOSviewer for integrating the journal mapping and their
hierarchical clustering is also made available. In this short communication,
we provide background on the journal mapping/clustering and an explanation
and instructions about the routine. We compare 2015 journal maps with those
for 2014 and show the delineations among fields and subfields to be
sensitive to fluctuations. Labels for fields and sub-fields are not provided
by the routine, but can be added by an analyst for pragmatic or intellectual
reasons. The routine provides a means for testing one's assumptions against
a baseline without claiming authority; clusters of related journals can be
visualized to understand communities. The routine is generic and can be used
for any 1-mode network.

Available at https://arxiv.org/abs/1610.03779

** apologies for cross-postings.

  _____

Loet Leydesdorff

Professor, University of Amsterdam
Amsterdam School of Communication Research (ASCoR)

 <mailto:[log in to unmask]> [log in to unmask] ;
<http://www.leydesdorff.net/> http://www.leydesdorff.net/
Associate Faculty,  <http://www.sussex.ac.uk/spru/> SPRU, University of
Sussex;

Guest Professor  <http://www.zju.edu.cn/english/> Zhejiang Univ., Hangzhou;