*****Apologies for any cross-posting*****

UCL Press is delighted to announce the publication of a brand new open access book that
may be of interest to readers of this list, Social Media in Southeast Italy.

Social Media in Southeast Italy
Razvan Nicolescu

Download free: http://bit.ly/2dKQxdo

This title is available in both free open access (PDF/ html) and print editions (paperback,
£15.00 | hardback, £35.00).

Why is social media in southeast Italy so predictable when it is used by such a range of
different people? This book describes the impact of social media on the population of a
town in the southern region of Puglia, Italy. Razvan Nicolescu spent 15 months living
among the town’s residents, exploring what it means to be an individual on social media.
Why do people from this region conform on platforms that are designed for personal
expression?

Nicolescu argues that social media use in this region of the world is related to how people
want to portray themselves. He pays special attention to the ability of users to craft their
appearance in relation to collective ideals, values and social positions, and how this
feature of social media has, for the residents of the town, become a moral obligation:
they are expected to be willing to adapt their appearance to suit their different audiences
at the same time, which is crucial in a town where religion and family are at the heart of
daily life.

Download free: http://bit.ly/2dKQxdo

About Why We Post

Why do we post on social media? Is it true that we are replacing face-to-face
relationships with on-screen life? Are we becoming more narcissistic with the rise of
selfies? Does social media create or suppress political action, destroy privacy or become
the only way to sell something? And are these claims equally true for a factory worker in
China and an IT professional in India?

With these questions in mind, nine anthropologists each spent 15 months living in
communities in China, Brazil, Turkey, Chile, India, England, Italy and Trinidad. They
studied not only platforms but the content of social media to understand both why we
post and the consequences of social media on our lives. Their findings indicate that social
media is more than communication – it is also a place where we now live.

This series explores and compares the results in a collection of ground-breaking and
accessible ethnographic studies. To find out more, visit http://www.ucl.ac.uk/why-we-
post

About UCL Press
UCL Press is the UK's first fully open access university press. Re-established at UCL in
2015, UCL Press publishes peer-reviewed scholarly monographs, edited collections,
textbooks and journals, by both UCL academics and non-UCL academics. All its books are
made available as free, downloadable PDFs from its website, as well as in print for sale
through retailers at affordable prices, and many of its books are also made available on a
free, enhanced, browser-based platform. Its mission is to make its published outputs
available to a global audience, irrespective of their ability to pay. Find out more at
http://www.ucl.ac.uk/ucl-press.