Hi Tom,

[and Hi SOCNETTERS, feels like it has been a while; expect more from me
VERY soon about the exciting Network Canvas project:
http://networkcanvas.com]

I would personally recommend the following:

- Use Qualtrics if USC has it.
- Use the Loop and Merge feature which is basically like series of name
interpreter questions.
- You can pipe the name in from the ten or however many alter fields you
want into the subsequent name interpreter questions.
- To get the names to autocomplete, you'll need to attach a jquery
autocomplete function to it, with a list that is downloaded by jquery.

This is an example snippet for this sort of thing in Limesurvey (which I
ultimately didn't end up using), but I would still recommend Qualtrics, as
it has a lot of nicer features (including good mobile support), including
the Loop and Merge. Limesurvey is open source though, but definitely
requires IT help getting it on a server. Getting this code working with
Qualtrics as a 1-2 day affair for a decent web coder.

~~~~~ SNIPPET ~~~~~~
$(document).ready(function() {
$.ajax({
type: "GET",
url: "http://PATH_TO_THE_NAMES_LIST/names.txt",
dataType: "text",
success: function(data) {
       x = document.getElementsByClassName("answer_cell_00SQ001 answer-item
text-item");
for (var i = 0; i < x.length; i++) {
console.log($(x[i]).children("input")[1].id);

$( "#" + $(x[i]).children("input")[1].id ).autocomplete( {
source: data.split(/\n/)
});

}
}
});
});

~~~~~ END SNIPPET ~~~~~

You can ask me offlist for more details if you like. But this is the UI
feature that you're looking for.

Take care,
Bernie

Bernie Hogan, PhD
Research Fellow, Oxford Internet Institute
Faculty Fellow, Alan Turing Institute
University of Oxford
http://www.oii.ox.ac.uk/people/hogan