International Journal of Entrepreneurship and Small Business
Special Issue on Collaborative Innovation Networks

Submission Deadline: February 15th, 2017

Link to the full CFP: https://goo.gl/zAcJdL

Guest Editors
Andrea Fronzetti Colladon
University of Rome Tor Vergata - [log in to unmask]

Francesca Grippa
Northeastern University - [log in to unmask]

Peter Gloor
MIT Center for Collective Intelligence - [log in to unmask]

Description

This Special Issue is inviting researchers in the fields of management science, computer science, sociology, psychology, anthropology, design and arts to discuss how of the diffusion of Collaborative Innovation Networks can encourage entrepreneurship.

Collaborative Innovation Networks (COINs) have been defined by Gloor (2006) as teams of self-motivated people with a collective vision. They are enabled by technology to collaborate, challenge the status-quo and innovate by sharing ideas, information, resources and work. Since then, several empirical evidences have supported the validity of this concept (Zylka et al., 2016).

Collaborative innovation networks are a key component of R&D efforts, as they provide access to knowledge and expertise that can support the open innovation model. Identifying COINs supports the development of startup or spinoff opportunities as they organically emerge within organizations. What can we learn from the development of successful COINs? How can collaborative networks between SMEs and/or research centres be optimized to foster firm’s performance? What can we learn in terms of creativity and problem solving by looking at the dynamic evolution of COINs? What are the benefits of being embedded in a COIN when designing and executing R&D activities? How can Collaborative Innovation Networks promote the launch of startups and spinoffs? We invite papers that address these and similar questions to describe the mechanisms behind successful COINs.

This Special Issue invites contributions that shed light on the mechanisms and processes enabling Collaborative Innovation Networks to be effective and to create positive change for individuals and organizations. We invite papers that advance the understanding of the mechanisms facilitating collaboration in a networked global environment, as well as new methods to detect and promote innovation within, and across, organisational boundaries (Dana et al., 2008; Wright and Dana, 2003).

We are also interested in exploring the advantages of collaboration for startups firms (Allen et al., 2016), as well as the distinctive individual characteristics and the network roles/positions of entrepreneurs (Battistoni and Fronzetti Colladon, 2014; Gloor et al., 2011; Gloor et al., 2016). Some of the questions that we are interested in exploring are: what are the leadership and communication styles of successful entrepreneurs and what are their effects on COINs? Does the presence of COINs support employees’ retention and commitment?

Finally, we invite papers that present and discuss case studies on the application of methods to measure, assess and improve collaboration and innovation, at the individual, team and firm level (Allen et al., 2016; Etemad et al., 2001), using innovative technologies or original communication styles, such as the pattern languages (Iba, 2014).

Subject Coverage

Topics of interest include (but are not limited to) the following:

We encourage scholars to submit contributes that can enhance the understanding of these subjects, providing both relevant theoretical and practical advancements.

Link to the full CFP: https://goo.gl/zAcJdL