Direct link to posting: https://ithaca.peopleadmin.com/postings/8766

*Ithaca CollegeRoy H. Park School of CommunicationsDepartment of Media
Arts, Sciences and StudiesAnnouncement of Faculty PositionAssistant
Professor – Emerging MediaFull-time, Tenure-eligible position, starting
August 16th, 2017*

*Position/Job Summary*The Roy H. Park School of Communications at Ithaca
College invites applications for an assistant professor position in the
Emerging Media program, a multidisciplinary undergraduate degree that
integrates both conceptual and applied aspects of media, design, and
computing. It prepares students to lead the development of new media
applications across industry sectors including entertainment, technology
and research firms, educational, journalistic and promotional media, and
for graduate school. Successful applicants for our position will be
effective in teaching, inspiring and mentoring students whose varied
interests include visual communication, computation, theory, creation, and
research. Candidates should demonstrate their capacity to involve students
in creative undertakings, to produce their own refereed scholarly or
creative work, to forge relationships with industry professionals, and to
contribute to a vibrant faculty community. We are seeking passionate
scholar-practitioners who care equally about inquiry, creativity, and
application.

We seek candidates with the expertise to teach courses that both focus on
and integrate 1) design of new media, 2) evidence-based inquiry using
quantitative and qualitative research methods, 3) media industry trends and
practices, and 4) critical issues such as copyright, ethics, privacy, and
policy. The applicant selected for the position will also have the
opportunity to teach special topics courses within their specialization.
Strong candidates will have an active scholarly, creative, and/or
professional agenda in an area related to emerging media that results in
peer-reviewed work that demonstrates impact in both the academic field as
well as in one’s teaching. Ithaca College embraces the Boyer model that
includes the scholarship of discovery, application, teaching and creative
endeavor.

The successful candidate will also demonstrate an ability to teach in ways
that value the varied learning needs and interests of a culturally diverse
student population, and that reflect a commitment to encouraging the
success of all students. We also seek candidates who have relevant
experience and/or a record of professional engagement with groups and
communities underrepresented in the academy. Candidates from
underrepresented groups whose exclusion from the academy has been
longstanding are strongly encouraged to apply.

The successful candidate may have the opportunity to teach courses at the
graduate level, including in the Executive-style Masters in Communications
Innovation program. The individual filling this position will collaborate
in forging a lively, engaging intellectual and creative environment and
will take part in shaping an evolving curriculum in one of the strongest
undergraduate communications schools in the country.

*Position/Job Qualifications*Minimum Qualifications:
Ph.D. in Communications, Information Science, or related discipline (ABD
will be considered) with a focus in the area of new/emerging media;
demonstrated capacity to produce visible, high-quality scholarly or
creative work; and a record of successful teaching at the college level.

Desirable Qualifications:
Professional expertise in design practice, experience with entrepreneurial
endeavors in the emerging media environment; experience with the social and
legal implications of emerging media; advanced training in quantitative or
qualitative research methodology; experience in obtaining extramural
funding; ongoing participation in service activities.

*Instructions for submitting your application:*Interested applicants must
apply online at https://ithaca.peopleadmin.com and attach a CV, cover
letter, evidence of research and teaching effectiveness, and contact
information for at least three academic references. Inquiries about the
position should be directed to Devan Rosen, Search Chair, at
[log in to unmask] (preferred) or 607-274-5100. Questions about online
application should be directed to the Office of Human Resources at (607)
274-8000. Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until
the position is filled.

*College description:*
At Ithaca College, a comprehensive residential campus community of 6,500
students, we strive to be at the forefront of the higher education
landscape. Our strategic plan, IC 20/20, positions us to offer a distinct
integrative learning experience that makes students ready for the personal,
professional, and global challenges of our age.

We seek candidates who embrace integrative learning and want to be a part
of this exciting time in Ithaca College history. We encourage creative
collaboration and innovation in our faculty and staff, providing support
and resources for them to grow in their fields and lead students to their
own innovative ideas and achievements.

We welcome different ways of thinking and look for candidates with unique
points of view and life experiences. We are inclusive of individuals with a
wide range of cultural, personal, and professional backgrounds, talents,
and skills. Our campus is a vibrant and rewarding community where diverse
minds can learn, succeed, and excel.

When reviewing candidates, we are looking for indicators of a number of
core competencies. Prospective candidates must be adaptable, collaborative,
inclusive, respectful, responsive, results driven, and sustainable. They
must communicate effectively, demonstrate leadership, exhibit professional
integrity and ethics, take initiative, value personal and professional
development, and show that they will engage in the college.

Nestled in the heart of New York State’s scenic Finger Lakes region, Ithaca
College sits atop South Hill overlooking picturesque Cayuga Lake and is
just minutes away from the city center. Combining small town warmth and
charm with the vibrancy of a college community, the thriving and culturally
diverse city of Ithaca has been rated by Kiplinger’s as one of the top 10
places to live in the United States.

To learn more about Ithaca College, visit us at http://ithaca.edu

*EEO Statement*Ithaca College is committed to building a diverse academic
community and encourages members of underrepresented groups to apply.
Experience that contributes to the diversity of the college is appreciated.