Direct link to posting: https://ithaca.peopleadmin.com/postings/8766

Ithaca College
Roy H. Park School of Communications
Department of Media Arts, Sciences and Studies

Announcement of Faculty Position
Assistant Professor – Emerging Media
Full-time, Tenure-eligible position, starting August 16th, 2017

Position/Job Summary
The Roy H. Park School of Communications at Ithaca College invites applications for an assistant professor position in the Emerging Media program, a multidisciplinary undergraduate degree that integrates both conceptual and applied aspects of media, design, and computing. It prepares students to lead the development of new media applications across industry sectors including entertainment, technology and research firms, educational, journalistic and promotional media, and for graduate school. Successful applicants for our position will be effective in teaching, inspiring and mentoring students whose varied interests include visual communication, computation, theory, creation, and research. Candidates should demonstrate their capacity to involve students in creative undertakings, to produce their own refereed scholarly or creative work, to forge relationships with industry professionals, and to contribute to a vibrant faculty community. We are seeking passionate scholar-practitioners who care equally about inquiry, creativity, and application.

We seek candidates with the expertise to teach courses that both focus on and integrate 1) design of new media, 2) evidence-based inquiry using quantitative and qualitative research methods, 3) media industry trends and practices, and 4) critical issues such as copyright, ethics, privacy, and policy. The applicant selected for the position will also have the opportunity to teach special topics courses within their specialization. Strong candidates will have an active scholarly, creative, and/or professional agenda in an area related to emerging media that results in peer-reviewed work that demonstrates impact in both the academic field as well as in one’s teaching. Ithaca College embraces the Boyer model that includes the scholarship of discovery, application, teaching and creative endeavor.

The successful candidate will also demonstrate an ability to teach in ways that value the varied learning needs and interests of a culturally diverse student population, and that reflect a commitment to encouraging the success of all students. We also seek candidates who have relevant experience and/or a record of professional engagement with groups and communities underrepresented in the academy. Candidates from underrepresented groups whose exclusion from the academy has been longstanding are strongly encouraged to apply.

The successful candidate may have the opportunity to teach courses at the graduate level, including in the Executive-style Masters in Communications Innovation program. The individual filling this position will collaborate in forging a lively, engaging intellectual and creative environment and will take part in shaping an evolving curriculum in one of the strongest undergraduate communications schools in the country.

Position/Job Qualifications
Minimum Qualifications:
Ph.D. in Communications, Information Science, or related discipline (ABD will be considered) with a focus in the area of new/emerging media; demonstrated capacity to produce visible, high-quality scholarly or creative work; and a record of successful teaching at the college level.

Desirable Qualifications:
Professional expertise in design practice, experience with entrepreneurial endeavors in the emerging media environment; experience with the social and legal implications of emerging media; advanced training in quantitative or qualitative research methodology; experience in obtaining extramural funding; ongoing participation in service activities.

Instructions for submitting your application:
Interested applicants must apply online at https://ithaca.peopleadmin.com and attach a CV, cover letter, evidence of research and teaching effectiveness, and contact information for at least three academic references. Inquiries about the position should be directed to Devan Rosen, Search Chair, at [log in to unmask] (preferred) or 607-274-5100. Questions about online application should be directed to the Office of Human Resources at (607) 274-8000. Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled.

College description:
At Ithaca College, a comprehensive residential campus community of 6,500 students, we strive to be at the forefront of the higher education landscape. Our strategic plan, IC 20/20, positions us to offer a distinct integrative learning experience that makes students ready for the personal, professional, and global challenges of our age.

We seek candidates who embrace integrative learning and want to be a part of this exciting time in Ithaca College history. We encourage creative collaboration and innovation in our faculty and staff, providing support and resources for them to grow in their fields and lead students to their own innovative ideas and achievements.

We welcome different ways of thinking and look for candidates with unique points of view and life experiences. We are inclusive of individuals with a wide range of cultural, personal, and professional backgrounds, talents, and skills. Our campus is a vibrant and rewarding community where diverse minds can learn, succeed, and excel.

When reviewing candidates, we are looking for indicators of a number of core competencies. Prospective candidates must be adaptable, collaborative, inclusive, respectful, responsive, results driven, and sustainable. They must communicate effectively, demonstrate leadership, exhibit professional integrity and ethics, take initiative, value personal and professional development, and show that they will engage in the college.

Nestled in the heart of New York State’s scenic Finger Lakes region, Ithaca College sits atop South Hill overlooking picturesque Cayuga Lake and is just minutes away from the city center. Combining small town warmth and charm with the vibrancy of a college community, the thriving and culturally diverse city of Ithaca has been rated by Kiplinger’s as one of the top 10 places to live in the United States.

To learn more about Ithaca College, visit us at http://ithaca.edu

EEO Statement
Ithaca College is committed to building a diverse academic community and encourages members of underrepresented groups to apply. Experience that contributes to the diversity of the college is appreciated.