We require the tutors to be responsible for ensuring a student is signed in before they start a session, which we introduce in their preliminary training and reinforce at staff meetings, via email, etc.

Exiting can be more difficult depending upon the system that you're using and the approach that you take.  Our current system requires the tutors to log out the students, but former systems we've used have instead made the student responsible to sign out.

I echo Martin's statement about the cost of a reception area being well worthwhile.  Our receptionists, with backup from our Computer Lab monitors, are responsible for monitoring our software throughout their shifts to see if anyone's session has exceeded a reasonable amount of time.  If so, they see if the tutor is still present and speak with them or confirm that they have left.  If the session ended but the tutor is still on duty, the receptionist/monitor reminds them to end the session retroactively.  If they have left, the receptionist/monitor ends the session on their end and sends an email to the tutor asking them to sign in as soon as possible to update their records to the departure time of the student and add session notes if they are missing.

We also employ graduate assistants who, as one of their tasks, quickly scan our records each week for anomalies such as a six-hour tutoring session and correct them with the help of the tutors in question.

Some basic signage reminding students of/introducing them to the sign in/out protocols never hurts.  When you catch a student not doing it, I just apologetically say "We really need you to sign in to make sure the University knows students want the services so we can keep our funding.  Would you mind taking a moment to do so, please?"  They recognize the reality and have never given me a hard time.

Sincerely,

Debbie Malewicki, MA
Director, Center for Learning Resources
Winner of the 2016 ATP Program of Excellence Award
Safe Zone Ally
116 Marvin K. Peterson Library
University of New Haven -- "A Leader in Experiential Education"
300 Boston Post Road
West Haven, CT  06516
Phone:  (203) 932-7415
Fax:  (203) 931-6013
E-mail:  [log in to unmask]

"Tutoring to Help You Blossom Into a Better Student”

Thought of the day:  “A man can fail many times, but he isn’t a failure until he begins to blame somebody else.”  By John Burroughs