Hello all,

I hesitate to admit this, but scheduling tutors is one of my greatest challenges with my job. I coordinate between 15 and 20 student employees, and each semester this is a headache for me. Our center does drop-in tutoring, so I set a schedule at the beginning of the semester and it (mostly) remains the same throughout.  I spend hours trying to accommodate tutors’ class and job schedules, give them the number of hours they want, maintain sufficient coverage for each subject, and hire to fill gaps. I need to start creating the schedule for next semester, so I’m looking for suggestions before I dive in.

Does anyone else feel this way about scheduling?
What do you do to make it go smoothly?
Do you use a software or online program to manage/optimize scheduling? (I’ve been using Excel)

As always, thanks for your suggestions!

Samantha Campa
Academic Support Advisor
Iowa Western Community College