Good day, everyone.

I’m gathering some quick responses about the options for part time faculty tutors and their students. The current model/practice for the writing (and other discipines) tutors is that they cannot tutor their own students; the current model/practice for science and math tutors encourages the tutors to tutor their own students. It’s has been suggested that the latter can be used to market the services because the students will see the support for many disciplines (writing, math, science, foreign language, music, dance, accounting and finance, audio arts and acoustics)– once the student sees their instructor as a tutor, the assumption from that model is that the students will then continue to use the support once the semester is over and the tutor is no longer their instructor. These models were inherited. One thing to keep in mind while responding is that our part time faculty are in a union when teaching, and when working in the support center, they are covered by a different union – one that covers part/full time staff. I’m unsure if that impacts your responses, but I thought it important.

When thinking about best practices and the power dynamic at play during a tutoring session:
Do you have part time faculty as tutors?
Do they see their own students as tutors? Would you please offer a seminal article (s) in support of this model?
Are your part time non student tutors asked to refrain from tutoring their own students? Would you please offer a seminal article(s) in support of this model?

I generously appreciate any advice on best practices and power dynamics when tutors are teachers outside of the classroom. I also appreciate referenced articles.

Thank you in advance,
Nita

Nita Meola
Senior Director of Tutoring, Learning Studio
Columbia College Chicago
33 E. Congress, 101C
Chicago, IL 60605
312-369-8827