Hi Kimberly,

Here’s a suggestion that might be fun.  We do this when we train on ethics, so I’ll describe that, but I think it could work for role modeling, too.

When we train on ethics, we use the ATP Code of Ethics and Standards.  We put each standard on a slip of paper, and each team gets two or three standards.  We show them a YouTube video of one of the “Good Idea, Bad Idea” cartoons from Animaniacs.  Then they develop pairs of skits to demonstrate what it looks like when a tutor is following the standard (the “good idea”), and when the tutor is violating the standard (the “bad idea”).  For example, the team that gets “Professionalism” they have to explore that standard by doing a skit that shows professional behavior, and a second skit that shows unprofessional behavior, and that becomes the basis for further discussion of professionalism in tutoring.

You could probably make that format work for role modeling.  Maybe have the tutors brainstorm 8-10 things a tutor should model for a student (time management, accessing campus resources, interacting effectively with faculty, etc.), write down the best ones, and divide them up for groups of tutors to develop good idea/bad idea skit pairs based on them.

Here’s a link to one of the cartoons:

https://youtu.be/-vAVLbMMSds?list=RD9erKbsQW8C0

Michele Costabile Doney, M.S.Ed.

Director, Student Academic Consulting Center & Immersion Programs

Secretary, Association for the Tutoring Profession

NCLCA Learning Center Leadership Certification Level Three

Baruch College, CUNY

55 Lexington Avenue, Box B2-116

New York, NY 10010

646-312-4833