Hi Samantha,

I feel your pain.  Unfortunately, I don’t know of a software that can automatically do this for you.  But here are some things I do.  I use the attached sheet that my tutors return to me.  Then, I put in all of their preferred hours onto a grid sheet (attached).  (That grid would represent one subject area.  So I have multiple grids.) What I do is I fill out the grid with ALL of their preferred hours, meaning that the grid for a given subject is overstaffed.  I put every hour that they can work on. That’s what I call version 1.  Then, I start to shave hours off certain tutors thereby maintaining adequate coverage (no under- or overstaffing), all the while keeping in mind their preferred minimum and maximum hours that they told me.  And I can make sure that I am not giving any one tutor too much or too little hours.  It’s easier, in my opinion, to put ALL the hours on, and then begin to take them away to create an optimal set of schedules.  I do this for 30 tutors across three major subject areas.

Hope this helps,

John Paul

John Paul Cleveland, M.T.S., M.A.

Director, Polytechnic Tutoring Center