We moved to an appointment based tutoring model.  It not only helped the budget, I believe it helped with the quality of the tutor.  We are able to attract those who are interested in helping their fellow students and wanting to make a few dollars, but could not afford the time commitment of being scheduled due to their own academic endeavors.