Amy,
We pay them their regular hourly rate. I find tutors usually undercharge
for prep time by not submitting all the time they take to make a test. Some
classes take more prep than others because of the nature of the class. I
try to assign a tutor to 1 class 1 prof so once they have prepped they are
good for the week.  If a tutor's prep time seems out of line we talk. If
prep takes them too long, maybe that isn't the class they should be
tutoring.
We have tutor trac so non-tutoring time [prep, meetings with prof,
training] is recorded by making an appt with themselves While tutoring
records the students they are working with. This helps us track hours for
certification.

Carole Basak
Associate Director
Academic Support Services