Amy,
We pay them their regular hourly rate. I find tutors usually undercharge for prep time by not submitting all the time they take to make a test. Some classes take more prep than others because of the nature of the class. I try to assign a tutor to 1 class 1 prof so once they have prepped they are good for the week.  If a tutor's prep time seems out of line we talk. If prep takes them too long, maybe that isn't the class they should be tutoring.
We have tutor trac so non-tutoring time [prep, meetings with prof, training] is recorded by making an appt with themselves While tutoring records the students they are working with. This helps us track hours for certification.

Carole Basak
Associate Director
Academic Support Services
Todd Wehr Hall