Oy, I've found igraph in R and Gephi to be an effective combination.
(UCINet and NetDraw are windows only, while igraph and Gephi run on all
platforms for no cost. I think the UCINet interface is poorly designed
from a usability standpoint.)

Gephi is the best tool for visualization, its "Data Laboratory" provides
an alternative tabular representation that is very useful, and it
provides enough basic metrics to get started. But the Gephi metrics are
not well documented: for publication quality analysis (and more metrics)
I go to igraph in R.  I have my students compute what they need in
igraph, add the results as attributes to the graph (e.g., V(g)$my_attr
<- whatever you computed), and then write it out to graphml to read into
Gephi for visualization and exploration in Data Laboratory.

I have lots of nice examples but my wife is calling me to dinner ...

Dan Suthers

Dept. of Information and Computer Sciences
University of Hawaii at Manoa
1680 East West Road, POST 309, Honolulu, HI 96822
(808) 956-3890 office
http://www2.hawaii.edu/~suthers/

Professor, Department of Information and Computer Sciences
   http://www.ics.hawaii.edu/
PI, Laboratory for Interactive Learning Technologies
   http://lilt.ics.hawaii.edu/

"Make America Smart Again" -- Neil DeGrasse Tyson