Carol,

Last year, during the NBA playoffs, I did network analysis of the two Final teams — Golden State and Cleveland.  We looked at passing behavior based on some public data available from the NBA.  Contact me off-list if you would like to discuss.

In addition to on-field/court behavior, the networks of a team — off-field — also seem to have an affect on team success.  Here are two blog posts about a client of ours who has applied SNA to internal team networks.  Would love to see a PhD dissertation, or two or three, on whether better team networks = better team chemistry = more team success.  Could also examine how off-field networks are, or are not, active on-field(via passing behavior).

http://www.thenetworkthinkers.com/2008/06/team-networks-team-chemistry.html
http://www.thenetworkthinkers.com/2008/12/team-chemistry-wins-again.html

Valdis Krebs
Orgnet, LLC