Oy, I've found igraph in R and Gephi to be an effective combination. (UCINet and NetDraw are windows only, while igraph and Gephi run on all platforms for no cost. I think the UCINet interface is poorly designed from a usability standpoint.)

Gephi is the best tool for visualization, its "Data Laboratory" provides an alternative tabular representation that is very useful, and it provides enough basic metrics to get started. But the Gephi metrics are not well documented: for publication quality analysis (and more metrics) I go to igraph in R.  I have my students compute what they need in igraph, add the results as attributes to the graph (e.g., V(g)$my_attr <- whatever you computed), and then write it out to graphml to read into Gephi for visualization and exploration in Data Laboratory.

I have lots of nice examples but my wife is calling me to dinner ...

Dan Suthers
Dept. of Information and Computer Sciences
University of Hawaii at Manoa
1680 East West Road, POST 309, Honolulu, HI 96822
(808) 956-3890 office
http://www2.hawaii.edu/~suthers/

Professor, Department of Information and Computer Sciences
  http://www.ics.hawaii.edu/
PI, Laboratory for Interactive Learning Technologies
  http://lilt.ics.hawaii.edu/

"Make America Smart Again" -- Neil DeGrasse Tyson
I am about to give a workshop on social network analysis to a couple of colleagues at my college.

Most of the participants use qualitative methods in their research, but are interested in using SNA.

I am looking for suggestions - datasets, examples, approaches - that can be useful for my audience.

I was thinking of Ucinet / NetDraw to conduct the workshop, but open to suggestions regarding other software (e.g, NodeXL, Gephi) that others may have used.

Thanks - Oy