Subject: Climate Change Film Festival, Dec. 11: "The World is Dying and We're Filming It"
[id:[log in to unmask]]
“The World is Dying and We’re Filming It”
6 PM, December 11, 2016
The Wooly, 20 North Main Street
Gainesville, FL

Please join us for a free screening of fourteen original short films by the students of UF instructor Lauren DeFilippo’s Fall 2016 course “Creating the Cinema of Climate Change.”

Rather than approaching climate change as a scientific, political, or policy problem, the students of “Creating the Cinema of Climate Change” were tasked with reframing environmental crisis as a moral and creative challenge. Over the course of the semester students considered how best we may respond to the realities of changing climate, collectively and as individuals. This requires not only scientific and technical resolve but also artistic invention and a re-evaluation of many of the cultural narratives that shape our consciousness. The students’ films demonstrate our need to find better ways to tell new stories fitted to the world in which we live and the world to come.

The screening will be followed by a Q&A session with the filmmakers.

“The World is Dying And We’re Filming It” is free and open to the public. No advance registration is required. For more information, see the “Imagining Climate Change” WWW site, http://imagining-climate.clas.ufl.edu.

Terry Harpold
Associate Professor
Department of English, University of Florida
http://users.clas.ufl.edu/tharpold
http://sciencefiction.group.ufl.edu
http://imagining-climate.clas.ufl.edu

Sent on behalf of Dr. Terry Harpold by:

Lisette M. Staal, Research Coordinator
UF Water Institute
570 Weil Hall, PO Box 116601
University of Florida
Gainesville, Florida 32611-6601

Phone 352-294-7742
Email:  [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>
www.waterinstitute.ufl.edu<http://www.waterinstitute.ufl.edu/>