From: Open Forum for Learning Assistance Professionals <[log in to unmask]> on behalf of White, Jeffrey <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Thursday, December 1, 2016 12:47 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Writing center format

Hi Josue,

We have a combined center. Our writing center operates on an appointment-only basis using WC Online as a scheduler. We also use WC Online's waitlist function. All but one of our tutoring programs are appointment only, except for math, for which there seems to be a pretty steady demand. That means we have very little down time. We used to offer walk-in times for writing but found that we were wasting money. We do have a few programs that we don't pay for directly that have a walk-in format, and their cost per visit is pretty steep. Since that funding comes from other units on campus, I only advise these programs not to offer walk-in only, but it's their money and their choice, not mine.

As for training, our writing assistants take a semester course (3 credits). Our other tutors do 10 hours of training in a workshop format.

Jeffrey

Jeffrey White, M.A., M.S.

Learning Commons Administrator, Shepard Academic Resource Center

Instructor of German, International Languages and Cultures

Buckley Center 163, MSC 184

University of Portland

5000 N. Willamette Blvd.

Portland, Oregon 97203