From: Open Forum for Learning Assistance Professionals <[log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>> on behalf of Saundra Y McGuire <[log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>>
Date: Friday, December 16, 2016 at 7:44 AM
To: "[log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>" <[log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>>
Subject: Question about SI "situation"

Hello Listers,

I’m working with an institution that has raised a situation that I’m not sure how they should handle.  It turns out that the learning center has a robust SI program.  However, other campus departments are offering their own “SI” programs that are not connected to the learning center.  These faux SI leaders do not receive the leader training provided by the learning center, and the departmental coordinators of these “SI” programs have not been to the UMKC training.  The learning center is horrified by this, but the administration doesn’t seem to be bothered at all.  At the very least the learning center wants these departments to stop calling their offerings SI, because they really are not being true to the model.

Have any of you faced a similar situation, and if so how did you handle it?  Any and all suggestions welcome.

THANKS!
Saundra

Saundra McGuire, Ph.D.
Author, Teach Students How to Learn (Info at http://tinyurl.com/ogfktwp[tinyurl.com]<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__tinyurl.com_ogfktwp&d=CwMGaQ&c=jifKnBYnyVBhk1h9O3AIXsy5wsgdpA1H51b0r9C8Lig&r=wsaQdULnVeus1yPSmmfwRw&m=SRDc0kRu0WYWHnWn1t_8eRqfsQJ_3w__0zmlOrQ6NPM&s=aHJ2_f7l_J-eQIsir64l7SqpTreG_gjyKQ0Qff3iSpI&e=>)
(Ret) Assistant Vice Chancellor  & Professor of Chemistry
Director Emerita, Center for Academic Success
Louisiana State University