Karla,

I will be honest: we have had a very difficult time getting SI going in math classes here. There are several contributing factors, but mostly it is because there is already a lot of help available here for math from other venues, including our PLUS Tutoring Center and the math department’s own drop-in lab.

When discussing this with my SI Coordinator, I have encouraged him to distinguish between “curricular need” and “student need”. The course outcomes suggest a “need” for enhanced support, but if students do not perceive a “need” for that support, it is unlikely to go anywhere.

So, I would start with this: do students feel that there is a lack of available resources to support mathematics learning? If so, does SI help fill that gap, and if not, why are the current resources not yielding better outcomes?

Jered Wasburn-Moses

Associate Director for Tutoring Programs

Learning PLUS

Northern Kentucky University

University Center 170F

(859) 572-5779