Hello friends and colleagues,

We have organized a special session on *Network Approaches for
Environmental Governance* at the XXXVII SunbeltConference in Beijing, 30
May - 4 June 2017.

If you are interested in network approaches for analyzing issues in
environmental governance, we encourage you to submit an abstract by *10
January* directly through the conference website: http://insna.org/
sunbelt2017/abstract-submission/

Please also consider forwarding this to your colleagues who might be
interested.

Details on the session are provided below.

We look forward to seeing you in Beijing!

*Session title*: Network Approaches for Environmental Governance

*Organizers*:

Michele L Barnes (session chair)

University of Hawaii at Manoa, Honolulu, HI, USA

ARC Centre of Excellence for Coral Reef Studies, James Cook University,
Townsville, QLD, Australia

Jesse Sayles (co-organizer)

McGill University, Montreal, Canada

*Session Description*: Network approaches for analyzing issues in
environmental governance have gained significant ground over the past 10
years. The purpose of this session is to bring together recent insights in
this field, draw attention to critical gaps, and highlight future
potential. Drawing on a variety of examples from both terrestrial and
marine systems, this session will demonstrate the theoretical and empirical
utility of network approaches for understanding multi-level governance
systems, social-ecological system dynamics, and environmental outcomes.
Presenters will also be asked to (1) highlight critical challenges
associated with adopting this approach and propose potential solutions for
addressing them, and (2) briefly discuss key gaps and the future potential
of network approaches for environmental problem solving.

Michele L. Barnes
NSF SBE Postdoctoral Research Fellow | University of Hawaii
Visiting Scholar | ARC Centre of Excellence for Coral Reef Studies | James
Cook University
Website <https://www.coralcoe.org.au/person/michele-barnes> | Publications
<https://scholar.google.com.au/citations?user=7fvFTH0AAAAJ&hl=en> | New
paper in PNAS