Dear Network Science / SNA community,

You are probably aware of the "Coauthorships in network science" network
posted on Mark Newman's site
(http://www-personal.umich.edu/~mejn/netdata/)  as
http://www-personal.umich.edu/~mejn/netdata/netscience.zip and many
other places.

I have found this network to be very useful as a demonstration example
when teaching network analytics. It is small enough that most analytic
examples can be run as part of a class demonstration, for example for
units on random vs. natural graphs, node centralities, degree
correlation, community detection, etc. Also it has the bonus that in the
process the students learn the names of various important authors.
Therefore I have used it as one of several graphs throughout the
semester in my course on network science.

However, it is now 10 years old. (It also emphasizes physics authors
more than sociology.) Does anyone know of an updated version or
comparable network that would serve this dual instructive purpose?

It would be especially nice to have a version of this network that also
includes node attributes (of any relevant sort), as this would extend
the range of methods that could be illustrated with the network, as well
as the pedagogical utility for learning about the authors.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions,
Dan

--
Dan Suthers

Dept. of Information and Computer Sciences
University of Hawaii at Manoa
1680 East West Road, POST 309, Honolulu, HI 96822
(808) 956-3890 office
http://www2.hawaii.edu/~suthers/

Professor, Department of Information and Computer Sciences
   http://www.ics.hawaii.edu/
PI, Laboratory for Interactive Learning Technologies
   http://lilt.ics.hawaii.edu/

"Make America Smart Again" -- Neil DeGrasse Tyson