Dear Dan,

for a recent study, I built a similar network consisting of almost
15,000 authors and 59,000 coauthorship relations. I gathered the data
from the arXiv repository, restricting the focus on those papers with
"networks" in the title or abstract up to May 2014 (this includes papers
about "neural networks", for instance, but they can be easily filtered
out if required). Possible metadata include the category to which each
author submitted a paper (that I used to build a multiplex network, at
the very end), as well as title, publication year, etc. Categories
considered:

physics.soc-ph
physics.data-an
physics.bio-ph
math-ph
math.OC
cond-mat.dis-nn
cond-mat.stat-mech
q-bio.MN
q-bio
q-bio.BM
nlin.AO
cs.SI
cs.CV

You can find the dataset in a dedicated web page
(http://deim.urv.cat/~manlio.dedomenico/data.php) or download it
directly from
http://deim.urv.cat/~manlio.dedomenico/data/arXiv-Netscience_Multiplex_Coauthorship.zip

If it can be of any help, do not hesitate to contact me for further
details (for instance, not all metadata is released with the network,
but I will be happy to share it upon request).

Best,

Manlio