Date: Mon, 5 Dec 2016 12:02:47 +0000
From: "[utf-8] Complexity Digest" <[log in to unmask]>
To: "[utf-8] Barry" <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: [utf-8] Latest Complexity Digest Posts

Learn about the latest and greatest related to complex systems research. More at http://unam.us4.list-manage.com/track/click?u=0eb0ac9b4e8565f2967a8304b&id=9e75209ba1&e=55e25a0e3e

Social status alters immune regulation and response to infection in macaques

    Rhesus macaques experience variable levels of stress on the basis of
their position in the social hierarchy. To examine how stress affects
immune function, Snyder-Mackler et al. manipulated the social status of
individual macaques (see the Perspective by Sapolsky). Social status
influenced the immune system at multiple levels, from immune cell numbers
to gene expression, and altered signaling pathways in a model of response
to infection. Macaques possess a plastic and adaptive immune response
wherein social subordination promotes antibacterial responses, whereas
high social status promotes antiviral responses.

Source: science.sciencemag.org (http://unam.us4.list-manage.com/track/click?u=0eb0ac9b4e8565f2967a8304b&id=98987ceae7&e=55e25a0e3e)

Visual Analysis of Nonlinear Dynamical Systems: Chaos, Fractals, Self-Similarity and the Limits of Prediction
An Economic Geography of the United States: From Commutes to Megaregions

    http://unam.us4.list-manage.com/track/click?u=0eb0ac9b4e8565f2967a8304b&id=970183ddc8&e=55e25a0e3e

The emergence in the United States of large-scale ˙˙megaregions˙˙ centered
on major metropolitan areas is a phenomenon often taken for granted in
both scholarly studies and popular accounts of contemporary economic
geography. This paper uses a data set of more than 4,000,000 commuter
flows as the basis for an empirical approach to the identification of such
megaregions. We compare a method which uses a visual heuristic for
understanding areal aggregation to a method which uses a computational
partitioning algorithm, and we reflect upon the strengths and limitations
of both. We discuss how choices about input parameters and scale of
analysis can lead to different results, and stress the importance of
comparing computational results with ˙˙common sense˙˙ interpretations of
geographic coherence. The results provide a new perspective on the
functional economic geography of the United States from a megaregion
perspective, and shed light on the old geographic problem of the division
of space into areal units.

Dash Nelson G, Rae A (2016) An Economic Geography of the United States: From Commutes to Megaregions. PLoS ONE 11(11): e0166083. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0166083

Source: journals.plos.org (http://unam.us4.list-manage1.com/track/click?u=0eb0ac9b4e8565f2967a8304b&id=e47b7f7f20&e=55e25a0e3e)

Generic temporal features of performance rankings in sports and games

    http://unam.us4.list-manage.com/track/click?u=0eb0ac9b4e8565f2967a8304b&id=77e143019d&e=55e25a0e3e

Many complex phenomena, from trait selection in biological systems to
hierarchy formation in social and economic entities, show signs of
competition and heterogeneous performance in the temporal evolution of
their components, which may eventually lead to stratified structures such
as the worldwide wealth distribution. However, it is still unclear whether
the road to hierarchical complexity is determined by the particularities
of each phenomena, or if there are generic mechanisms of stratification
common to many systems. Human sports and games, with their (varied but
simple) rules of competition and measures of performance, serve as an
ideal test-bed to look for universal features of hierarchy formation. With
this goal in mind, we analyse here the behaviour of performance rankings
over time of players and teams for several sports and games, and find
statistical regularities in the dynamics of ranks. Specifically the rank
diversity, a measure of the number of elements occupying a given rank over
a length of time, has the same functional form in sports and games as in
languages, another system where competition is determined by the use or
disuse of grammatical structures. We use a Gaussian random walk model to
reproduce the rank diversity of the studied sports and games. We also
discuss the relation between rank diversity and the cumulative rank
distribution. Our results support the notion that hierarchical phenomena
may be driven by the same underlying mechanisms of rank formation,
regardless of the nature of their components. Moreover, such regularities
can in principle be used to predict lifetimes of rank occupancy, thus
increasing our ability to forecast stratification in the presence of
competition.

Generic temporal features of performance rankings in sports and games

José A Morales, Sergio Sánchez, Jorge Flores, Carlos Pineda, Carlos Gershenson, Germinal Cocho, Jerónimo Zizumbo, Rosalío F Rodríguez, Gerardo Ińiguez

EPJ Data Sci. (2016) 5: 33. doi:10.1140/epjds/s13688-016-0096-y

Source: link.springer.com (http://unam.us4.list-manage1.com/track/click?u=0eb0ac9b4e8565f2967a8304b&id=ba8f2fdbca&e=55e25a0e3e)

Founding Editor: Gottfried Mayer.
Editor-in-Chief: Carlos Gershenson.

You can contribute to Complexity Digest selecting one of our topics (http://unam.us4.list-manage.com/track/click?u=0eb0ac9b4e8565f2967a8304b&id=775a294b2f&e=55e25a0e3e ) and using the "Suggest" button.