Date: Mon, 12 Dec 2016 12:02:55 +0000
From: "[utf-8] Complexity Digest" <[log in to unmask]>
To: "[utf-8] Barry" <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: [utf-8] Latest Complexity Digest Posts

Learn about the latest and greatest related to complex systems research. More at http://unam.us4.list-manage1.com/track/click?u=0eb0ac9b4e8565f2967a8304b&id=02c5c84f54&e=55e25a0e3e

1st Call for Abstracts: Conference on Complex Systems 2017

    http://unam.us4.list-manage1.com/track/click?u=0eb0ac9b4e8565f2967a8304b&id=0b0f554a8d&e=55e25a0e3e

The flagship conference of the Complex Systems Society will go to Latin America for the first time in 2017. The Mexican complex systems community is enthusiast to welcome colleagues to one of our richest destinations: Cancun.

The conference will include presentations by Mario Molina (Environment, Nobel Prize in Chemistry), Ranulfo Romo (neuroscience), Antonio Lazcano (origins of life), Marta González (human mobility), Dirk Brockmann (epidemiology), Stefano Battiston (economics) John Quackenbush (computational biology), and many more.

Important dates:
Abstract deadline                      March 10
Notifications of Acceptance      April 21
Conference                                September 17-22

Source: ccs17.unam.mx (http://unam.us4.list-manage2.com/track/click?u=0eb0ac9b4e8565f2967a8304b&id=0b53b6ecd8&e=55e25a0e3e)

Complex Networks & Their Applications V ˙˙ Springer

    http://unam.us4.list-manage.com/track/click?u=0eb0ac9b4e8565f2967a8304b&id=a13436ff59&e=55e25a0e3e

Complex Networks & Their Applications V
Proceedings of the 5th International Workshop on Complex Networks and their Applications (COMPLEX NETWORKS 2016)

Source: link.springer.com (http://unam.us4.list-manage.com/track/click?u=0eb0ac9b4e8565f2967a8304b&id=0d585e99af&e=55e25a0e3e)

Network Science PhD Program | Network Science Institute at Northeastern University

    http://unam.us4.list-manage2.com/track/click?u=0eb0ac9b4e8565f2967a8304b&id=abfcfad590&e=55e25a0e3e

The Network Science PhD program is a pioneering interdisciplinary program that provides the tools and concepts aimed at understanding the structure and dynamics of networks arising from the interplay of human behavior, socio-technical infrastructures, information diffusion and biological agents.

We expect applications from talented students from around the world with strong interdisciplinary interests.The priority application deadline for Fall 2017 is February 1, 2017.

Source: www.networkscienceinstitute.org (http://unam.us4.list-manage.com/track/click?u=0eb0ac9b4e8565f2967a8304b&id=92668e63e7&e=55e25a0e3e)

Assistant/Associate/Full Professor in the Network Science Institute

    http://unam.us4.list-manage2.com/track/click?u=0eb0ac9b4e8565f2967a8304b&id=5df922fd2b&e=55e25a0e3e

The Network Science Institute (NetSI) is a multi-disciplinary research community supporting innovative research and training in network science. The successful candidate will join an outstanding interdisciplinary community represented by 10 core faculty members representing 7 departments, including Physics, Computer science, Political Science, Business, Health Science, Communications, and Mathematics.

The successful candidate will be offered a departmental tenure home commensurate with their expertise. NetSI is dedicated to creating synergy among faculty expertise, across departments and colleges, with shared computing infrastructure, active lecture series and vibrant collaborative research opportunities. Candidates˙˙ are expected to actively engage our distinctive interdisciplinary, collaborative culture. Candidate˙˙s research plans should extend beyond their home discipline to engage with other fields in other domains of network sciences. Substantive foci are open and broad, including network structure and dynamics, spreading and diffusion, relational and clustered modeling, automated mining of qualitative data, theoretical physics and computational models of social processes, and computationally intensive data collection and analysis.

Source: www.networkscienceinstitute.org (http://unam.us4.list-manage.com/track/click?u=0eb0ac9b4e8565f2967a8304b&id=676366e922&e=55e25a0e3e)

2 Prof. Positions on Mathematical Modeling of Complex Biosystems, UC Riverside

    Applications are invited for two 9-month, tenure-track or tenure positions at the Assistant or Associate levels beginning July 1, 2017, as a part of the cluster hiring initiative in Mathematical Modeling of Complex Biosystems at the University of California, Riverside (UCR).

The University of California at Riverside (UCR) is implementing a major expansion of our faculty and investing in state-of-the-art research facilities to support their work. This expansion will build critical mass in 34 vital and emerging fields of scholarship, foster truly cross-disciplinary work, and further diversify the faculty at one of America˙˙s most diverse research universities. We encourage applications from scholars committed to excellence and seeking to help define the research university for the next generation. For more information about our hiring initiative or to submit an application, please visit clusterhiring.ucr.edu or academicpersonnel.ucr.edu .

http://unam.us4.list-manage.com/track/click?u=0eb0ac9b4e8565f2967a8304b&id=b623e1be3e&e=55e25a0e3e
http://unam.us4.list-manage2.com/track/click?u=0eb0ac9b4e8565f2967a8304b&id=178c237d5f&e=55e25a0e3e

Source: aprecruit.ucr.edu (http://unam.us4.list-manage.com/track/click?u=0eb0ac9b4e8565f2967a8304b&id=dca2f1a688&e=55e25a0e3e)

On Macrostates in Complex Multi-Scale Systems

    A characteristic feature of complex systems is their deep structure,
meaning that the definition of their states and observables depends on the
level, or the scale, at which the system is considered. This scale
dependence is reflected in the distinction of micro- and macro-states,
referring to lower and higher levels of description. There are several
conceptual and formal frameworks to address the relation between them.
Here, we focus on an approach in which macrostates are contextually
emergent from (rather than fully reducible to) microstates and can be
constructed by contextual partitions of the space of microstates. We
discuss criteria for the stability of such partitions, in particular under
the microstate dynamics, and outline some examples. Finally, we address
the question of how macrostates arising from stable partitions can be
identified as relevant or meaningful.

On Macrostates in Complex Multi-Scale Systems

Harald Atmanspacher

Entropy 2016, 18(12), 426; doi: 10.3390/e18120426

Source: www.mdpi.com (http://unam.us4.list-manage.com/track/click?u=0eb0ac9b4e8565f2967a8304b&id=a23bffea9f&e=55e25a0e3e)

Founding Editor: Gottfried Mayer.
Editor-in-Chief: Carlos Gershenson.

You can contribute to Complexity Digest selecting one of our topics (http://unam.us4.list-manage.com/track/click?u=0eb0ac9b4e8565f2967a8304b&id=3c298aa023&e=55e25a0e3e ) and using the "Suggest" button.