Dear readers of the list,

I would like to attrack your attention to the following panel on historical
network research organized at the XXXVII Sunbelt Conference in Beijing, 30
May - 4 June 2017. If you are interested in applying network analysis in
history or archaeology, please do consider submitting an abstract by 10
January (directly through the conference website) and/or forwarding this to
your contacts who might be interested. You need not submit the full paper at
either this or any other stage, only the abstract. Details on the session
and the registration follow.

Session on “Historical Network Research” at Sunbelt 2017 in Beijing, 30 May
- 4 June 2017

The XXXVII Sunbelt conference of the International Network for Social
Network Analysis, held in Beijing from 30 May to 4 June 2017 (http://insna.
org/sunbelt2017/(http://insna.org/sunbelt2017/)), will host a panel
dedicated to Historical Network Research. All scholars interested in
presenting a paper or poster within this session are cordially invited to
submit an abstract by 10 January 2017 8 p.m. EST = 11 January 2017 1 a.m.
Greenwich Mean Time through the conference website. Guidelines for the
abstract, travel & accommodation information, FAQ, and the submission form
are available at http://insna.org/sunbelt2017/
(http://insna.org/sunbelt2017/) and the abstract submission is now open. The
conference does not require submitting the text of the paper at any stage,
only the abstract is needed. The abstract should be 200-500 words long (the
limit of the relevant field in the form is about 1,400 characters), and
should not contain bibliographic references. When submitting your abstract,
please select "Historical Network Research" as the session title in the
relevant drop-down menu.

Historical Network Research: Session Abstract

The methods of Social Network Analysis (SNA) have recently started to find
their place in the historians’ toolkit, thus giving birth to the burgeoning
discipline of Historical Network Research (HNR). After a successful series
of smaller workshops devoted to HNR, an international conference explicitly
focused on HNR was held in Hamburg (2013), followed by conferences in Ghent
(2014), Lisbon (2015), and Turku (upcoming 2017). In addition, sessions
devoted to the application of SNA to historical research have been organized
at Sunbelt since 2013, and at EUSN since 2014. In 2016, the
institutionalisation of HNR was marked by the creation of a new academic
journal, the Journal of Historical Network Research (http://
historicalnetworkresearch.org/journal/
(http://historicalnetworkresearch.org/journal/)), whose first issue will be
published in the summer of 2017.

The aim of this session is to contribute to this emerging field by bringing
together historians and other scholars applying SNA to their respective
research areas, and by enhancing international and interdisciplinary
exchange. We invite papers that explore the application of the formal
methods of SNA to historical research and/or delve into the added value of
this approach. Topics may include, but are not limited to, network analyses
of historical data (from any period) on social, political, and religious
groups, movements, cliques, and organizations; communication; economic and
intellectual exchange; kinship; social and political upheavals, conflicts,
wars, and peace-making; the diffusion of representations, practices, and
artefacts through social networks; the reconstruction of past social
networks through material culture; etc.

Session organizer:

David Zbíral, Masaryk University, [log in to unmask]
(mailto:[log in to unmask])

Session chairs:

Delfi I. Nieto-Isabel, University of Barcelona, [log in to unmask]
(mailto:[log in to unmask])

David Zbíral, Masaryk University, [log in to unmask]
(mailto:[log in to unmask])

~~~~

If you have any questions about the session, please contact me at david.
[log in to unmask](mailto:[log in to unmask]), I will be happy to
answer them. I hope to meet many of you in Beijing!

All the best,

David Zbíral

Dr. David Zbíral

Associate Professor at Masaryk University (Study of Religions)

Managing Editor of Religio: Revue pro religionistiku, http://www.casr.cz/
religioen.php

General Secretary of the Czech Association for the Study of Religions,
http://www.casr.cz/indexen.php

Department for the Study of Religions, http://www.phil.muni.cz/relig/
indexen.php

Faculty of Arts