From: Florida Birds [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of
SUEREDFISH Bales
Sent: Saturday, December 31, 2016 10:43 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [FLORIDABIRDS-L] Sebastian Inlet - 12-30-16

My wife, and I went to Sebastian Inlet yesterday for me to try, and get a
look at the 1st Winter Sabine's Gull. As usual we get there, and find a
couple of other birders on the same quest. Very nice people indeed! No one
had seen it in the group I was with on the North side of the bridge. After
about 30 minutes I went to the South side where I spotted a group of birders
that appeared to have the gull. When I got there I was surprised. The
Sabine's Gull was sitting on its belly away from other gulls on the beach.
Immeadiately I recognized that the bird was in duress. It was definitely a
sick bird. I was surprised however that when it went airborne it appeared to
fly normally. Feeding heavily with the other gulls. I lost it, and I never
found it again by 3:00 PM so I left. What ever is wrong with it is why it is
in so close to shore. It is unable to compete with it's own kind out a sea.
I enclosed a picture of a juvenile Sabine's Gull I got on a trip with
Michael so you can get a comparison between the two plumages.
  I am no good with names, but I would like to thank everybody that helped
me find, and see this gull. You all were very kind. Thank-you.

www.flickr.com/photos/mudhen/31163615184

www.flickr.com/photos/mudhen/31629853900

www.flickr.com/photos/mudhen/31989463215

www.flickr.com/photos/mudhen/31629849770