Dear Fellow Graduate Assistants,

Graduate Assistants United (GAU) is hiring a small number of Graduate Assistants to serve as “released-time” employees. We seek self-motivated candidates dedicated to improving the lives of all Graduate Assistants. GAU is the labor union that represents all Graduate Teaching Assistants and Graduate Research Assistants across campus. According to our contract, GAU can hire a small number of employees on “released-time,” and we have a limited number of these positions available for the Spring 2018 semester.

A released-time appointment includes an assistantship of .33 FTE as well as a tuition waiver and health insurance. Released-timers help keep GAU running and carry out all essential activities for the union. Duties include administrative tasks such as processing membership forms, answering emails, returning phone calls, and holding regular office hours in the GAU office. Released-time employees also participate in event planning, contract enforcement and education, and help with ongoing campaigns. Likewise, released-timers design fliers, coordinate volunteers, contact other organizations and departments, assist with research projects, and run meetings.

If you would like to apply for a released-time position, please send your CV and a statement of interest (250-300 words) to [log in to unmask] by November 3, 2017. In your statement, be sure to mention any past involvement you’ve had with GAU and which skills you think can best help the union. While knowledge of GAU is not required to work as a released-timer, strong applicants often familiarize themselves with GAU, its current campaigns, and/or are familiar with organizing or labor unions.

You can find more information about released-time appointments in Article 16 of our collective bargaining agreement: http://www.ufgau.org/uploads/6/4/6/7/64675501/cba_2017.pdf. To learn more about GAU, check our website ufgau.org, and our Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/ufgau.org/

With love,

Graduate Assistants United

Graduate Assistants United @ University of Florida
UFF/AFT/NEA/AFL-CIO