Students are invited to apply for our 2018-2019 AY FLAS competition. Please be aware that the availability of AY FLAS funding will depend on the timeline and outcome of our next Title VI competition.
FLAS 2018-2019 Academic Year Fellowships
Through support from the U.S. Department of Education, the Center for Latin American Studies offers Foreign Language and Area Studies (FLAS) Academic Year Fellowships to support training in Brazilian Portuguese and Haitian Creole.
For graduate students, the fellowship covers tuition and fees for 12 graduate credit hours per semester, provides a stipend of $17,000 total for the 2018-19 academic year (fall 2018 and spring 2019 semesters), and includes United coverage.
For undergraduate students, the fellowship covers tuition and fees not already covered by other financial aid or scholarships (up to a maximum of $10,000 for the academic year) and provides a scholarship of $5000 total for the 2015-16 academic year ($2500 each for the fall 2018 and spring 2019 semesters).
• Full-time UF graduate/undergraduate student
• U.S. citizen or permanent resident
• Undergrads must have intermediate or above proficiency in Portuguese or Haitian Creole
• Each semester enroll in a minimum of 3 credits of Portuguese or Haitian Creole
• Each semester enroll in a minimum of 3 credits of Latin American area studies
• Recipients are also required to take language proficiency exams and to complete online reports about their fellowship on a semester basis
February 1, 2018
For Submissions: Wanda Carter, Academic
Program Assistant | E-mail: [log in to unmask]
Other Questions: Lenny A. Ureņa Valerio, Assistant Director for Administration
E-mail: [log in to unmask]
Please review the Center’s website for the full list of requirements and application materials: http://www.latam.ufl.edu/academics/student-funding/flas-academic-year-fellowships/