Florida Society of the Social Sciences (F3S) seeks (and appreciates) your support and participation!

Who: Graduate students in the humanities, social sciences, and interdisciplinary programs

What: Upcoming F3S meeting, volunteer opportunities, and call for submissions for 12th Annual Conference of the Social Sciences

When: F3S will meet Tuesday 01/10/17 from 11:40 – 12:30 in Turlington 3302.

Please share widely.  Please email [log in to unmask] with your availability/interest/questions, if any of the volunteer opportunities below appeal to you. See far below for call for presenters.

F3S is currently seeking volunteers/committee members who can commit to work sometime between Jan 6 – April 12. If 3 or more hours of service, t-shirts likely to be provided.

·         Opportunities are varied. They include

o   Attending monthly meetings to socialize and build community

o   Designing program cover

o   Designing flyers and promotional items

o   Spreading the word about our event electronically and in-person, so that we have plenty of presenters and attendees from across the state of Florida

§  Targeted audience: Social Science, Humanities, and Interdisciplinary departments at UF and other Florida Schools

§  Targeted audience: Community members and leaders in Gainesville

o   developing the community involvement aspect in a just and relevant manner.

§  Potentially partnering with UF and community entities who’ve already developed a just and lasting relationship

F3S is also seeking volunteers for the day of the conference, Saturday, April 15th. If 3 or more hours of service, t-shirts likely to be provided.

·         Opportunities are varied. They include

o   Moderating sessions,

o   Directing attendees

o   Managing registration

o   Monitoring space to ensure cleanliness, access

o   Using social media to promote audience engagement

o   Using photography or other multimedia skills as one of our visual documentarians

o   Assisting with collection of attendance and evaluations

../Dropbox/F3S%20Executive%20Board/2015-2016%20F3S%20Arroyo/F3S%20Private%20Folder/logos%20and%20pics/Jpeg%20Logo.jpgCALL FOR SUBMISSIONS

12th Annual Conference of the Social Sciences:

From Social Problems to Social Promise

April 15, 2017

University of Florida, Gainesville, Florida

Submission Deadline: March 10, 2017

For the past 12 years, the Florida Society of the Social Sciences (F3S) has strived to provide a unique forum for students of the humanistic and social sciences to engage with fellow scholars. The cornerstone of F3S’s efforts is the Annual Conference of the Social Sciences, where graduate and undergraduate students come together to present and discuss their work with a broad audience that crosses disciplines, professions, origins, and walks of life.

The 12th Annual conference theme, From Social Problems to Social Promise, highlights the role of research in addressing social inequalities, cultivating a sense of hope, and providing more equitable solutions for the future. We are excited to announce this year’s keynote speaker: Dr. Carla Shedd, Assistant Professor of Sociology and African American Studies at Columbia University.

Please read the information provided below to guide you as you prepare a submission.

TYPES OF SUBMISSIONS:

We welcome papers or poster presentations from graduate (and undergraduate) students in the humanities, social sciences, and interdisciplinary fields. We also welcome workshop proposals.

  1. Formal Paper Sessions: These formal sessions include 15-minute presentations of forthcoming research. Presentations will be grouped thematically to form a complete session. A question and answer session will follow all presentations.

  1. Poster Sessions: Posters are appealing visual representations illustrating a research question, methods, and outcomes. Posters will be displayed during scheduled time slots and presenters will have the opportunity to discuss their research with conference attendees. All stages of work welcome.

  1. Workshops: Workshops are individual sessions with a focus on providing information and hands-on activities to students and early career scholars. We encourage workshop submissions focusing on professional development, community engagement, relevant technologies, etc.

SUBMISSION REQUIREMENTS AND HOW TO SUBMIT:

Please submit a 250-word abstract at: https://goo.gl/forms/22JArAhh4Ar3xXss2. Visit our website to view the full call for abstracts, and for more information on the 12th Annual CSS.

Take care, and welcome back.

Florida Society of the Social Sciences
http://f3s.soccrim.clas.ufl.edu/