Hi, Matt, et al.,

Thanks for sending that paper and the Carpentry's response.  I first saw
that paper a couple of weeks ago and have not yet had a chance to really
give it a careful reading, but I will do so.  Anyway, I think questions
about the efficacy of various instructional models are extremely
important, and the more we can understand about when short workshops
work well and when they don't, the better.  So, if there is an effort to
more formally evaluate outcomes here at UF, I'd be happy to try to help out.

In addition to the "experimental treatments" that Matt mentioned in his
original email, note also that next semester we will have the
alternative workshop format that Justin (I think -- my apologies if I am
not recalling the correct name) is helping organize, with a regular,
two-day SC workshop parceled out over multiple weeks.  So that could be
yet another instructional format to evaluate.

-Brian